Looking for a stimulating, fun daycare centre for your toddler? Your toddler will love Wai, the daycare room for 2-3 year olds at Piccolo Park.
We specialise in caring for and educating toddlers aged 2-3 years. We understand that choosing a daycare centre to care for your toddler is an important decision. Rest assured we have superb resources and excellent programs designed specifically for the learning and development of your toddler.
We’re really proud of our teachers and their care and expertise. They are wonderful at engaging with toddlers to advance their learning and life skills. All this happens in a fun, friendly and homely environment. Your child will love to learn at Piccolo Park daycare!
Plus you’ll find it affordable because we believe it’s every child’s right to fulfil their potential.
7 reasons to choose Piccolo Park daycare…
- Fabulous food. We provide breakfast for all kids dropped off before 8:00 am and late snacks for kids picked up after 5:00 pm. A qualified chef has designed our menu and established the kitchen and trained our cook. Our meals are highly nutritious and beautifully fresh, which is important for optimal brain development. Let us know about any allergies or other food considerations and we can adapt the menu to suit.
- Better teacher to child ratios. We have better teacher to child ratios (1:8) than ministry requirements (1:10) enabling better supervision of your toddler. This also creates more opportunity for 1-on-1 teacher and child interaction where we can build on your child’s interests and strengths.
- Very well resourced. Toddlers get lots of stimulation here. We provide age-appropriate resources and there’s a wonderful variety to choose from, fostering a range of individual interests. Variety is important too because children learn in different ways.
- Great outdoor area. Our outdoor environment has been developed around keeping children close to nature. They particularly love our fabulous water features. It’s very much like a beach! Our outdoor area gives children the freedom to be active learners, experimenters and explorers.
- Teaching self-help skills. Our daycare teachers positively encourage children with their self-help skills – things such as putting their shoes on, getting dressed, and looking after their bag and belongings. Our aim is to help your child become independent and ready for school.
- Toilet training. We work with families in teaching children to use the toilet. Part of this involves routinely reminding children to go to the toilet, helping them to recognise the need to go, helping them sit on the toilet, and learning to wipe themselves, flush the toilet and wash their hands afterwards.
- Language development, communication skills, social skills. Our daycare teachers are very conscious of being a role model for appropriate behaviours and language, and assisting with language development, e.g. suggesting the correct words to use. Teachers also focus on the development of social skills, e.g. sharing and caring for others as they interact with the other children in our daycare centre.
We’re confident your child will thrive in the fun environment of the Wai room, our area for toddlers. You can be assured of great daycare teachers who genuinely care. Your child will love our stimulating toddler program where there’s lots to learn.
Why not check out Piccolo Park daycare for yourself? We’d love to meet you and show you around.
Check out Piccolo Park daycare…
We’d love to meet you and show you around!
FAQs about toddlers
What does it cost?
You’ll find our fees are very affordable. Click here for details on our toddler fees or here to request an information pack which includes fees. Note: For children under 3 years there are full-day but no session (morning or afternoon) options.
Do I qualify for 20 hours free?
All 3-5 year old children are eligible to receive 20 hours ECE while attending Piccolo Park daycare. Visit www.minedu.govt for more information on the Government’s 20 hours ECE program.
Children under 3 years do not qualify for 20 free hours. However, you can apply to WINZ for a subsidy if needed. This needs to be done directly with your local WINZ office. Visit www.workandincome.govt.nz for more info. We support families receiving WINZ subsidies and can help you with your application for the subsidy.
What are the minimum hours/days?
The minimum attendance at our daycare is 2+ days per week and 6+ hours per day.
Can my child have a nap? Where do the children sleep?
Yes, toddlers who still nap during the day can do so. The children sleep on slat beds with their own assigned linen and blankets that are washed weekly. This sleep is supervised at regular intervals as per ministry requirements, to ensure the health and safety of each child in our care.
Do you cater for allergies or special dietary requirements?
Yes. Our daycare menu is designed in line with the Heart Foundation’s healthy heart programme, taking into account any children who may have allergies or special dietary requirements such as gluten/dairy free, vegetarian etc. This is also a nut-free daycare centre.
What do I need to bring?
Please bring a named school bag and a named change of clothing.
Where can I learn more about early childhood education?
The Ministry of Education has an excellent website for parents where you can learn more about early childhood education here: http://parents.education.govt.nz/early-learning/