Get your child ready for school with our stimulating preschool program. Your preschooler will love the Ngahere room for 4-5 year olds for at Piccolo Park.
We understand that choosing a preschool to care for your child is an important decision. Rest assured we have superb resources and excellent programs designed specifically for the learning and development of 4-5 year olds. Our goal is to help preschoolers become confident, competent, independent learners so they are ready for school.
Our qualified teachers are experts at guiding preschoolers through this exciting time of social, emotional, physical and intellectual development. All this happens in a fun, friendly and homely environment. Your child will love to learn at Piccolo Park preschool!
10 reasons to choose Piccolo Park preschool centre
- Mt Wellington centre is right next door to Sylvia Park primary school. With Sylvia Park School right next door, it’s a great way to build familiarity and help smooth the transition from preschool to primary school.
- Teaching with school in mind. Our goal is a smooth transition to school for your child, rather than a big change. So our preparation involves not only teaching ABCs but also phonics, and generally getting them ready for school so it feels like a natural progression.
- Leadership, confidence, responsibility. These are important years to foster leadership and responsibility and build confidence. So we find enjoyable ways to bring out these skills in our preschoolers. Some children love being “the teacher” for the day, or directing mat time. Some like to be rostered on to duties, e.g. being a messenger. We also do things like getting them ready for show-and-tell at school, and practical things like getting them to understand their lunch boxes, etc.
- Extending preschoolers’ knowledge & interests. Recognising and planning for further development of the children is an important part of what we do. If your preschooler is interested in pyramids or dinosaurs or family or whatever, we’ll help take that to the next level. We believe children learn more easily when exploring their personal goals and interests.
- Strategies for life. We teach our preschool children self-responsibility and give them techniques for handling situations in life, e.g. annoying behaviour. Armed with the appropriate strategies they will be ready for school and life.
- Sessions (morning or afternoons) and full days. If your child is a preschooler you have the option of sessions (morning or afternoon sessions) or full days. Those making use of the 20 free hours and sessions then only pay a $20 administration fee with no further cost for having your child attend the preschool.
- Fabulous food. We provide breakfast for all preschoolers dropped off before 8:00 am and late snacks for those picked up after 5:00 pm. A qualified chef has designed our preschool menu and established the kitchen and trained our cook. Our meals are highly nutritious and beautifully fresh, which is important for optimal brain development. Let us know about any allergies or other food considerations and we can adapt the menu to suit.
- Better teacher to child ratios. We have better teacher to child ratios (1:8) than ministry requirements (1:10) enabling better supervision of your preschooler. This also creates more opportunity for 1-on-1 teacher and child interaction where we can build on your child’s interests and strengths.
- Very well resourced. We provide age-appropriate resources and there’s a wonderful variety to choose from, fostering a range of individual interests. Variety is important too because children learn in different ways. Your preschooler will get all the challenges and stimulation they need through our abundance of resources.
- Great outdoor areas. Our outdoor environment has been developed around keeping children close to nature. Preschoolers particularly love our fabulous water features. Our outdoor area gives children the freedom to be active learners, experimenters and explorers.
We’re confident your child will thrive in the fun learning environment at Ngahere, our area for preschoolers. We have a wonderful preschool program and qualified teachers to guide your child through this exciting phase. They’ll be learning and building life skills through enjoyable education and individual interests, in preparation for school.
Check out Piccolo Park preschool centre…
We’d love to meet you and show you around!
What does it cost?
You’ll find our fees are very affordable. For children aged 4+ there are session or full-day options. Minimum attendance is 2+ days per week and 6+ hours per day for full-day children. Click here for details on fees. Or request an information pack which includes fees.
Do I qualify for 20 hours free?
All 3 and 4 year old children are eligible to receive 20 hours ECE while attending Piccolo Park.
Will they go on trips and excursions?
Any school trips or excursions will be planned and based on the children’s interest, learning and development. Prior parental permission and assistance will be sought well in advance.
Do you cater for allergies or special dietary requirements?
Yes. Our menu is designed in line with the healthy heart foundation, taking into account any children who may have allergies or special dietary requirements such as gluten/dairy free, vegetarian etc. This is also a nut free centre.
What do I need to bring?
For preschoolers please bring a named school bag and a named change of clothing.
What do you teach them?
Our qualified teachers are trained to teach self help skills, and encourage children in the development of the initial stages of writing and recognition of numbers and letters.
Do I need to give them lunch?
All meals are prepared at the centre. Sessional children will be provided with either morning or afternoon tea. Full day children are provided with morning and afternoon tea and lunch. Any child dropped before 8.00 am will be provided with breakfast and those picked up after 5.00 pm will be given a late snack.
Do you do transition visits to school?
We aim to have a good working relationship with the primary school next door to our Mt Wellington centre work with them to have transition visits to help our preschoolers adjust to the school environment.
How can I find out more about early childhood education?
The Ministry of Education’s parents’ portal is an excellent place for more information: http://parents.education.govt.nz/early-learning/